Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My desk is a little too narrow for the long type of Apple keyboard -- the one that has the keypad and the Home ↖, End ↘, Page Up ⇞, Page Down ⇟ keys... (it will take up the space for the mouse).

So if the small (wireless) keyboard is used, is there a way to simulate these keys: Home ↖, End ↘, Page Up ⇞, Page Down ⇟? (Home ↖ takes a user to beginning of page, End ↘ takes the user to end of page).

In some apps like Chrome and Safari, Command ⌘ + Up ↑ is like Home ↖, and Command ⌘ + ↓ Down is like End ↘. Fn + Up ↑ is like Page Up ⇞, Fn + ↓ Down is like Page Down ⇟, but it won't work in some apps such as in Finder (File Manager) and iTunes, where both of them will only do PageUp and PageDown simulation but not Home ↖ orEnd ↘ simulation.

I have this keyboard:
Apple keyboard
Not this keyboard (which has the dedicated Home ↖, End ↘, Page Up ⇞, and Page Down ⇟ keys):
Apple extended keyboard

share|improve this question
Worth noting that the same applies for MacBook keyboards. – andr Aug 16 '14 at 13:07
up vote 20 down vote accepted

The Command+Up/Down keys you mentioned for Chrome and Safari are coincidences. The Fn+Up/Down keys are not. Those key combinations are actually mapped to the Page up/Page down keycodes, so the application thinks you actually pressed those keys. There are similar mappings for Home and End: Fn+Left and Fn+Right, respectively. These Fn+Arrow mappings will work exactly like Page Up/Down and Home/End in any application, unless it somehow is working around the system.

share|improve this answer
perfect! why didn't I think of that! – 太極者無極而生 Apr 22 '12 at 2:18
This is great if you can use two hands. But is there a way to do this with only one hand? I cannot spread my fingers far enough to operate both 'Fn' and 'arrow up' or 'arrow down' simultaneously. – user87863 Aug 16 '14 at 0:09
@Mark I don't know of another combination. You could turn on Sticky keys in System Preferences > Accessibility > Keyboard, which would let you press fn then the arrow separately. – ughoavgfhw Aug 16 '14 at 1:11
For Windows Remote Desktop, you can use: fn+control+left/right for control+Home and control+End. fn+control+up/down for PageUp and PageDown. – user1491819 Jul 1 '15 at 23:18

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.