I just got the following popup:
Is this a legitimate update from Adobe?
The reason I'm concerned:
- The Flashback virus started off as a fake Adobe Flash update.
- The UI on the application does not look like it is using native components. It seems like it's running Java or something similar.
- I didn't run anything to prompt this. It just popped up on its own.
- This is an actual application (it appears in the dock).
- The application has no about menu.
- I do have Adobe Reader installed, but it wasn't running at the time. (In fact, I haven't launched it in a while.)
- There is nothing related to Adobe Reader (or the updater) in my login items (System Prefs > Users > Login Items).
- The process name shows up as Adobe Reader Updater in Activity Monitor.
Detailslink goes to http://www.adobe.com/go/update_details which redirects to http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/release-note/release-notes-acrobat-reader.html (However, that doesn't say much. Malware could just as easily link to the official website in order to appear legitimate.)