In the next few days I'll have to reinstall my Mac OS/ Snow Leopard computer. I'm trying to figure out what to backup first. I’m not talking about the user data but rather OS specific things like in windows ini files, applications settings, some of the registry entries etc. I'm rather a windows guy and all the Mac stuff is a bit new form me.
The plan is to use a clean install and not the “Archive and Install” option, I’ve read how it works but am not sure how to use such archive anyway. I also plan to do a full OS backup with the TimeMachine in case something goes terribly wrong :) no plans to use it otherwise.
So far I plan to back up the following items (the plan is to restore them all manually, after the install):
- OS usernames and passwords,
- Network configuration,
- Browsers bookmarks (FF, Safari, Chrome, Opera),
- Users home folders (just in case, have no plans to use them afterwards really, should be deleted a few days after the reinstall as soon as I know everything works smoothly and I’m not missing any private data),
- Xcode developer profiles,
- Passwords, keys and certificates from Keychain Access app,
- Deauthorize the computer in iTunes.
Am I missing something?