Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How do you remove the default open with application for a file extension? Not change it but remove it so when I try to open it a popup says "There is no application set to open the document “file.blabla”.

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Use RCDefaultApp. With it, you can set the file association to <disabled>
Another option is to use the command line and lsregister. lsregister is located in /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/ To see all the available commands, run /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister. See this article for more information.

share|improve this answer
I know that, but I want to be able to remove the association, not change it. – stas Apr 3 '12 at 17:59
@stas Sorry! Updated my answer. – daviesgeek Apr 3 '12 at 18:01
Thanks but would you happen to know how to do this with the command line? If you don't I'll just use the app. – stas Apr 3 '12 at 18:03
@stas Updated again :-) – daviesgeek Apr 3 '12 at 18:12
Fantastic, thanks! I'm just not a big fan of installing tons of apps on my mac, each for doing only a single thing such as the RCDefaultApp. – stas Apr 3 '12 at 19:08

All you need to do is right click on the file that you want to open, click "get info" (in the dropdown list) then click "Open with"

enter image description here

After that, select the application you want to open it up with, and select "Change all"

enter image description here

Hope this helps!

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.