Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I may be considering to get the iMac.

I don't own a TV, but I would love to be able to use it as such. I understand it has a DisplayPort input for these types of purposes.

What would I need to get to get my Wii and analogue TV (PAL) hooked up to this?

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

The best way to get TV hooked up to a Mac is through a TV Tuner. The best TV Tuners for Mac are by far the EyeTV tuners. The TV tuner could also be used to hook up to your Wii, however that is a bit impractical. Instead consider buying an adapter from RCA to Mini-Display Port to use your iMac as a Monitor for the Wii.

share|improve this answer
Why do you think TV tuners are impractical? They're very simple to use, and most have at least a couple different input options, plus recording software. Additionally, there are no mini-DP adapters for TV-centric inputs that I'm aware of. You can find them for DVI, but that's about it. Adapting from mini-DP to a TV input is possible, but not the other way around. Not only is a TV tuner practical, it's the only reasonable option for what Evert wants to do. – Ben Wyatt Dec 4 '10 at 12:21
Ahhh. I'm sorry. I typed my answer wrong. I meant I thought it was impractical to simply hook to the Wii. However, that is not entirely true as you pointed out. – huntaub Dec 4 '10 at 17:13
I don't think TV tuners are suitable for gameplay. They usually introduce a slight delay in outputting the signal, on the order of a second. This isn't a problem when watching TV, but for playing games it would make it unusable. – KeithB Dec 5 '10 at 14:54
Digital devices, like Xboxes, Playstations, etc., that have HDMI outputs, you could (in theory) run through the Mini-DP. I haven’t tested that, so I can’t say for sure, and I’m not sure how it would work, if the picture would be letterboxed, or if the display would scale the picture internally. You just need a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable:… – peelman Dec 7 '10 at 13:55

I don't believe that is an input, but only an output, for a second monitor.

share|improve this answer
You are correct regarding the new ones. The previous 27" models, the ones without Thunderbolt, could utilize their Mini-DP as an input. – lipsum123483 May 20 '11 at 11:15

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.