Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

One of the first customizations I make in Windows is to install WinBubble, an awesome piece of software that lets me add an option the the right-click menu of the desktop: 'Turn Off Monitor.' It's really quite awesome.

Now that I'm using Macs more and more, I want to know how to do this on a Mac. But instead of using the mouse (yes, I'm a keyboard guy), I want to use the keyboard.

Is it possible for me to turn off the screen with a keyboard shortcut? I'm thinking AppleScript - but something simpler is definitely better.

share|improve this question
This was flagged to get looked at and I've edited the "duplicate" question in hopes that both can be useful. This one seems very targeted at disabling a screen and the other question is now about minimizing brightness and keeping the iMac running. Let's see how people feel about these two questions with that distinction being made. – bmike Mar 31 '12 at 19:41
@bmike: Thanks. Yeah, I felt that these two questions were asking two separate things. – JavaAndCSharp Mar 31 '12 at 19:50
@bmike please, have you handy a link for the other question? – Graham Perrin Apr 25 '12 at 6:20
@GrahamPerrin The link is in the sidebar -> above related, below the chatting/ad slot. – bmike Apr 25 '12 at 12:36
@bmike ah, sorry, my bad. (I was looking for something asked by someone else then edited by you.) – Graham Perrin Apr 25 '12 at 13:36
up vote 21 down vote accepted

Control+Shift+Power For current Mac keyboard layouts. Control+Shift+Eject works for older keyboard layouts that still include the Eject key.

This page explains some alternate solutions as well.

Also, if you have "Require password after sleep or screen saver begins" set to immediately in System Preferences -> Security & Privacy, it will ask you for your password after doing this.

share|improve this answer
it's a photo finish! – Adam Eberbach Mar 27 '12 at 3:20
Wow. Two answers, 11 seconds apart. I'll have to give this one to you. May I ask where you found this? I looked in Apple's record of keyboard shortcuts and found nada. I can't give you the answer for 11 minutes, though. – JavaAndCSharp Mar 27 '12 at 3:20
Here's an Apple article with these shortcuts- I think I found that one out by accident, though. – penguinrob Mar 27 '12 at 3:23
Found mine on Mac OS X Hints. – Adam Eberbach Mar 27 '12 at 3:25
This does not work for new macs that lack an eject key. Not sure what does, just pointing out that some macs can't do this operation out of the box. – bmike Mar 31 '12 at 17:37

Yes - shift-ctrl-eject is the keyboard shortcut for this.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.