Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've noticed sometimes when using Mac OS X's color picker it has a clipped corner.

What does it mean?

Color inspector with clipped corner

share|improve this question
up vote 7 down vote accepted

I got an answer over Twitter. If that user posts it here, I'll delete this answer:

Usually means a sampled colourspace like Device RGB versus Generic RGB. Toggle the colour sliders toolbar button and click the little rainbow drop down to see the various colourspaces.

It came in two tweets, here and here.

share|improve this answer
Can you add a link to the tweet? – CajunLuke Mar 12 '12 at 18:02
Good idea, done. – Steven Fisher Mar 12 '12 at 18:06
Yes, that is the correct meaning of the corner. Since you found this, remember that you can answer your own question and select it as the correct answer so that others can benefit from your work. Good job! – soxman Mar 12 '12 at 19:12
"You can accept your own answer in 2 days" So in two days. :) – Steven Fisher Mar 12 '12 at 19:58

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.