Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a jailbroken iphone 4. Is there way to play MP4 and FLV files without converting them? I'd like to play them straight on my iPhone,since it takes too spend time to use iTunes to convert the files.

share|improve this question

VLC (google it) plays just about everything. Unfortunately, due to a strict interpretation of some open source licenses (that is, not Apple's fault), the iOS version was pulled from the App Store.

Fortunately, though, you can still install it by using Cydia. Or at least that's what I've read (I haven't done it myself), see the instructions for details.

Getting the video files onto your phone will be more of a hassle, but I think this might be your best bet. Can't hurt to try.

share|improve this answer

You might want to check out the app GPlayer in the app store and see if it does what you need in regards to playing video. There's a free, ad-supported version and an ad-free version available. No need to jailbreak.

share|improve this answer

iPhone 4 supports MP4 files. Sometimes it is quite common that iPhone 4 cannot play MP4 files due to the codec issues. FLV is not a file format supported by iPhone 4. I am not sure if there is a quite nice solution to play MP4 and FLV files on iPhone 4 without converting them. I often convert the files to iPhone 4 supported formats. If you prefer, there is a quite nice way I know:

share|improve this answer

there is a nice flash to video converter i usually use, i'd recommend it!) but thanx for info)

share|improve this answer
The OP specifically said "without converting the files" – daviesgeek Apr 9 '12 at 16:17

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.