Our corporate network has some web applications hosted in a nested subdomain hierarchy. A "subdomain's subdomain", as you will. For example:
- Root-> http://*.mydomain.com (resolves to: 184.108.40.206)
- App1-> http://application1.server1.mydomain.com (resolves to: 220.127.116.11)
- App2-> http://application2.server1.mydomain.com (resolves to: 18.104.22.168)
The problem is that when browsing to one specific app, let's say App1, the generic wildcard is returned. This is a simple landing page on Root. It works perfectly on any given Windows machine, and even some other Macs, but I can't seem to connect using a specific Mac OSX machine (OSX 10.7.3).
App2 works just perfectly in the browser.
Some performed checks:
- The DNS has been setup correctly.
- Pinging the address works - and resolves the correct DNS
- Browsing to it using Safari, Chrome, Firefox etc. doesn't and seems to resolve to the main domain (1.)
- Windows 7 on the same Mac (using Parallels) does work and resolves the correct webpage
- The /hosts file is clean and has no relevant entries
- There is no proxy, firewall or other app that I'm aware of that could interfere
- I have used dscacheutil -flushdns without effect
- Cleared browser cache, rebooted system etc.
It's almost as if the DNS locally on this machine isn't updated correctly - and still has a version of a month ago in it's cache. Or that someone goated the hosts file (verified, not the case).
UPDATE: If I manually add an explicit entry to the /etc/hosts file, like
22.214.171.124 application1.server1.mydomain.com, everything works perfectly. However, if I remove the line again - the problem re-appears.