I'd like to know if anyone out there has done a comprehensive comparison of the various package manager solutions available for OS X.
More specifically, I'm looking for:
- A list of all the major package managers (ie. MacPorts, Fink, etc)
- A pros and cons list or comparison matrix (either self-written or a web link to one)
- Information about any caveats for particular systems
- Information about possible incompatibilities or reasons for not having multiple package managers installed simultaneously
- Subjective reasons why you think one is better than another
Update Nov 29, 2010
Chiggsy gave a great answer but I would really love some more input on this. I've been using MacPorts recently and it seems to be pretty well done. I like that its command line options work in a similar fashion to subversion and that it has an interactive mode.