Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I can switch to another desktop by pressing CTRL-RIGHT or CTRL-LEFT. Can I also somehow take the active window with me to the new active desktop (similar to Ubuntu/Unity)?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Options provided by OSX

  1. Using your mouse, click and hold the window you want to move to another Space.
  2. a) While still holding your mouse button down, use your Spaces keyboard shortcut to move to the desired Space. (default: ctrl+/)

    b) Drag the window to the edge of the screen. Wait a second or two and the window will be dragged into the next space.

    You can change the delay before the OS switches spaces using...(here 2 seconds)

     defaults write workspaces-edge-delay -float 2.0; killall Dock;

Third-party solutions

  • SizeUp (unlimited free trial available)

Your question has been asked before on

share|improve this answer
This is a good answer - but it sucks that there's no way to do this without installing apps. – jhabbott Aug 4 '12 at 12:46

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.