Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What combination of keys do I press to produce the command symbol (⌘) on Mac OS X?

(I copied the above symbol from

share|improve this question
If you like to add it to your non Unicode HTML-sources, you can use the following HTML-Command: ⌘ .… – R_User Nov 26 '13 at 20:11
Out of curiosity, if you need to find the name and hex code of that special character you don't know what to call it, try Shapecatcher. – user36018 Apr 7 '15 at 19:10
Cool! I drew a "command symbol" (rather poorly) on and it found it with the name "Place of interest sign". – Daryl Spitzer Apr 7 '15 at 22:18
seems that easiest way is just google this question and copy-paste the symbol from title – oluckyman Sep 17 '15 at 18:25

10 Answers 10

up vote 125 down vote accepted

If you're just looking for the Unicode versions of Mac OS X keys, you can use this site to copy and paste them from the text box.

More generally, Mac OS X provides a pane to insert special characters. You'll typically find it under Edit -> Special Characters in any program that takes text input. The Command key symbol can be found under Symbols -> Technical Symbols. To insert the character, select it and click "Insert".

alt text

If you're really hardcore and are looking for a way to type the character by entering the Unicode hex code, this is possible:

  1. Go into System Preferences -> Language & Text -> Input Sources and check "Unicode Hex Input"

2. From the input source selector in the menu bar, select "Unicode Hex Input"

alt text

3. To enter a Unicode character, hold down option and type the 4-digit hex code for the character and it will be inserted. In this case, it would be option+2318.

share|improve this answer
Wow, I was sure that would be some option-key way to type a . But there isn't! I just looked through every possible variation of the keyboard viewer and it's just... not... there! – Josh Dec 20 '10 at 23:55
starting with Lion, to see the Technical Symbols in the Special Characters window you'll need to click into Settings to "Customize List..." and add it to your view. – rymo Jan 2 '13 at 19:03
fyi, link is to website with: This domain name expired on Mar 07 2015 06:03PM – GraehamF Mar 13 '15 at 16:27
Thanks @GraehamF, I've updated to an archived copied. Still works! – pimlottc Apr 7 '15 at 23:11
This feature seems to be gone in OS X 10.10 – Will Oct 11 '15 at 1:05

I also found it hard to find a straight answer for this, so I just went into System Preferences > Keyboard > Text and created a use symbol and text substitution option where when I type (cmd) it replaces it with the command symbol.

share|improve this answer
This is the best solution, in my opinion. – Cory Klein May 6 '14 at 16:58
In Mavericks at least, this is under System Preferences > Keyboard > Text. – Steve Bennett Aug 19 '14 at 0:44
Great solution. Substitution characters here. The characters shown can be copied and pasted for each substitution. – Julian Jun 29 '15 at 22:50
Love this solution. just copy and paste this ... ⌘ into the "With" column. – Artistan Sep 2 '15 at 18:27

An updated answer for Lion and above:

You can also type ^ ⌘ <space> to bring up the characters menu, then start typing to search, and search for place of interest, then press enter to start selecting them, then tab to the correct result, then enter again to insert it.

Sounds like a lot, but it can really be narrowed down to ^ ⌘ <space> pla <enter><enter>

share|improve this answer
IMHO this is the best answer, as it can be done entirely with keyboard and doesn't require any special setup. ^-⌘-<space>, p, l, <enter><enter>. Once you've used it once, you don't even need to type the pl next time. – Steve Bennett Aug 19 '14 at 0:47
On OS X 10.8.5 here the shortcut seems to be ⌘⌥T, but I can't find where that's defined. ^-⌘-<space> doesn't do anything for me. – Daniel Jun 10 '15 at 0:52

If you have TextExpander, one can also make a snippet for it, ala Dr. Drang.

Abbreviation for typing ⌘

He also has a Keyboard Library with snippets for a host of keyboard symbols available.

share|improve this answer

With the document open, place the cursor where you want the symbol, Open the Character Viewer as described above. Type "Place of Interest" in the character viewer search field. It shows up on at the bottom of the window. Double click it and it shows up where you placed your cursor. Save it to your favorites in the Character Viewer window to make it easier to find next time. This under OS 10.9.1 "Mavericks"

share|improve this answer

You can also add Your favourite characters to "press and hold" key behaviour.

enter image description here

Here's explanation how to do it on apple stackexchange: How to add characters to the press and hold character picker in OS X Lion?

Keep in mind that this is done inside System directory, so be careful and remember that there's a chance of losing Your setup after upgrading the OS.

share|improve this answer

For what it's worth (on OSX and maybe Windows): In Libre Offices's Writer I found the symbol as the 5th entry in both the LiHei Pro and LiSong fonts.

share|improve this answer

This is the simple way on how to do it.

  1. Download BetterTouchTool
  2. Open the application
  3. Select 'keyboard'
  4. Click Add New Shortcut
  5. Set keyboard shortcut to 'Option+C'
  6. Set trigger predefined action to 'Paste predefined text'
  7. Copy '⌘' into the box.
  8. Click Ok

Now whenever BetterTouchTool is open all you have to do is press 'Option+C' and it automatically types the '⌘' symbol.

You only have to do steps one to eight once.

share|improve this answer

For future reference, you can copy and paste from here:

⌃  <- Control
⌥  <- Option aka alt
⌘  <- Command

These are rendered like this:

enter image description here

share|improve this answer

I normally use "SHIFT + ALT + K" to generate a  Symbol.

Instead of using a ⌘ Symbol whenever writing anything which requires keystrokes / shortcuts because for most of the time that I have been using apple computers it was called the "apple key" . (and the symbol physically written on the key was a  and not a ⌘ )

share|improve this answer

protected by Community Aug 22 '15 at 23:05

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.