Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

OS X Lion is quite demanding for old Macs. Even though I own a 15'' MBP early 2011 with the 'powerful' Intel HD 3000 for integrated graphics, some animations just don't feel right (low fps).

This is especially very noticeable with Mission Control: It's choppy.

When ever discrete graphics are being used (e.g. QuickTime movie with GPU acceleration, Win7 in VirtualBox...) Mission Control is much smoother and easier on the eye.


  • Is it possible to force discrete graphics to be used when the MBP is connected to a power source?
share|improve this question
up vote 7 down vote accepted

gfxCardStatus (free)

I found the link to it on EveryMac along with some other info about graphics switching.

  • fast access via menu icon
  • auto/manually switch between discrete and integrated graphics
  • power source-based switching
  • growl support
  • open source

enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
THIS IS AWESOME! – gentmatt Feb 15 '12 at 8:43
No problem. Glad I could help. And thanks for editing my answer to make it better! :-) – binarybob Feb 15 '12 at 8:48
This program has helped many get better battery life, better performance and more importantly achieve a more stable system in the case where a specific program has issues (crashes) when the graphics card switches or is one mode over the other. A great tool to have in your toolbox if you like optimizing things. – bmike Feb 15 '12 at 13:53
This feature has been removed. – magma Oct 22 '14 at 23:41
This does not appear to work on 10.10 – Kieran Andrews Jul 15 '15 at 2:36

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.