Hello all I have an early '09 Mac mini 3,1 (Intel Core 2 duo 2GHz, 1GB RAM, 120GB HDD) which I need to upgrade soon as it is slowly dying (i.e., runnning an IDE like netbeans while having chrome open is becoming overkill for the poor thing).
I am looking at maxing out the RAM to 8GB (from my research I believe this is feasible) and replacing the HDD with a 60GB SSD as I do not really store much (if any) media. Monetarily, I have worked the cost to be around £100 which is not too bad?
I would appreciate your feedback on the following especially if you have done this or similar
- ease of replacing the RAM
- ease of replacing the HDD
- whether 8gb does indeed work (well)
- whether SSDs do work as well as benchmarks and hype suggest (in this context)
- any problems that can be incurred by doing this (I'm not to concerned re. void waranties more breaking hardware)
- anything I need to take in to consideration that I possibly am not
If anyone from the UK has had experience with getting a second HDD 'dock' to replace the optical drive with a second HDD/SSD then any infromation surrounding this (both obtaining and installing - though the latter I guess is regionally unspecific) would also be very helpful.