I'm finding that when streaming video or audio from either my iPad 1 or iPhone 4 to my Apple TV 2, it more often than not fails (although it does occasionally work). I'd say 6/10 it fails.
- Start playing the media
- Press the AirPlay button (either from within the app or on the task bar)
- Choose the Apple TV receiver
and after a few seconds it'll revert back to displaying on the local device.
I select the AirPlay option either before the media starts, or during it. It doesn't seem to make a difference.
Some times it'll look as though Apple TV tries to load it, other times it does not.
This happens with any application I use (eg. Safari, Spotify, Downcast).
My setup is as follows:
- My iPad and iPhone 4 are connected to an Airport Express
- My Apple TV is wired to a Netgear DG934G (a Sky Broadband router).
- The Netgear and Airport Express are wired to each other.
- I also have a laptop running XBMC which is acting as a AirPlay receiver. This is connected wirelessly to the Netgear. This too is flakey in terms of supporting AirPlay.
Is it common for AirPlay to fail this frequently, or do I have problem?