Any electric device that has a rechargeable battery will face the same issue if you overcharge the device. If you overcharge, you'll short the life of the battery and if you leave it charged for too long it might cause a fire.
I recommend you charge any electric device that has rechargeable battery to 95-98% and unplug it. In general, rechargeable battery life will decrease but if overcharge, you help short the life faster. To avoid replacing the battery within a year or so, charge to 90-98% and unplug.
Also do not use your device or put it in a hot area. If your device becomes too hot put it away to cool it off. Heat decreases your device's battery life. If you want to charge the battery the whole time, you must remove the battery to avoid overcharge. However, most Apple laptops do not have removable battery so you're better off by unplugging it between 95-98%.