Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am looking for an adapter to connect my Apple display to a Sony notebook via VGA, so I need the reverse of this one:

Image of Apple mini DisplayPort-to-VGA connector.

Does such a product exist?

share|improve this question

You will need a VGA to DVI scaler ($330 in mentioned link) + DVI to MDP adapter like this one ($70). And after that no guarantee that it will work all together.

share|improve this answer

VGA is an analog signal and your Cinema requires digital so you need more than a simple cable. You need an appropriate interface box, called a VGA to DVI Scaler, such as the Gefen VGA to DVI Scaler Plus. (Shown for reference only—this is not a recommendation.)

You will also need the appropriate adaptor to use the DVI signal with your monitor.

Please note that I don't have experience with these products and can't guarantee results—particularly if your Display is the thunderbolt-equipped model. Contact the vendors to assure yourself that it will work.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.