I'm looking for an app (or script) that does this:
- I hit a global shortcut key chord.
- A one-line text entry box appears.
- I enter a line of text and hit ENTER.
- The text is saved somewhere, perhaps as a plaintext file on the local filesystem.
- I'm looking at the same screen I was before step 1, without any more clicks, keys, or delays.
That's it. The purpose is simply to have a muscle-memory way of recording a very brief thought. Please don't suggest a solution that involves a heavy app with lots of features -- for the sake of this OP, that fails the requirements.
This description sounds a lot like Twitter, and given that many OS X Twitter clients could be configured to fulfill this behavior, I don't want a Twitter client.