Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When I plugged my MacBook Air running Lion into a projector today the projector only displayed the desktop background. I could swipe between desktops, but it still only displayed the background (this was particularly weird for the dashboard where it showed the dashboard background but not the widgets). When I opened system preferences that window displayed, but nothing else. Any idea what happened or how I can fix it if it happens again?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Have you tried running the mouse over to the left/right corners of your MBA screen? It should jump onto the projector screen - I think Lion is default for ext. screen to be on the left.

You should be able to drag any app then over to the screen in the same way the mouse passed across.

Where the big screen is compared to the little screen can be configured in System Preferences > Display > Alignment.

share|improve this answer
This works when the problem occurs, but it'd be nice to know why 75% of the projectors I plug into behave one way while the other 25% behave another way. Even better I'd like to actually switch between modes. – Noah Snyder Feb 5 '12 at 3:31

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.