Our household has several iOS devices, a soon-to-be-upgraded MacBook and a new Mac Mini Server. Since we're not working with many users (yet), I'd like to get things organized and working before time becomes an issue. The Mini has a local-only account that has the master iPhoto and iTunes libraries (for sharing with Apple TV's, iPhones, iPads, etc) - with iTunes I have a few options:
- Everyone shares the same iTunes library
- Master library is shared, users have their own smaller libraries
- Master library is shared using home sharing, users have their own smaller libraries
The other accounts are networked (with portable home directories). Since mobile accounts will be in the near future, I'd like to avoid number 1 (and I need some sort of sharing to serve to Apple TV's, iPhones, iPads, etc anyway). Number 3 could be an issue since home sharing is limited to 5 devices, and I'd like a solution that could handle around 10. This brings me to three questions:
- Can home sharing work with iPhones/iPads that are connected through a VPN to the Mini Server?
- Is there an elegant way to update the master library whenever a user adds content to their own iTunes library?
- Does anyone with a similar setup have any tips?