Take the 2-minute tour ×
Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I live outside the US and would like to use some Apps that only work in US territory.

Example: Square (to accept credit card payments), Paypal mobile, Hulu, etc...

Is there a way to make iOS believe that it´s in the US?

share|improve this question

6 Answers 6

In order to access geoblocked websites you need to have a VPN application enabled to re-route your traffic through a US IP address.

For iOS the best solution I have found is hotspotshield. It does have a subscription fee for using but it seems to work well so far.

It is also available as an OSX application for the desktop.

share|improve this answer
You should also mention, that it's ad-supported. –  gentmatt Jan 11 '12 at 17:23

I have been using HideMyAss VPN service for a few months and it is great. It is also a paid subscription but uses Tunnelblick client which is light and I just keep it connected at all times and have no performance issues either. You can select your VPN server also and they have servers available all over the world. It's not only great for accessing geoblocked websites but great for just privacy in general.

share|improve this answer

For apps, a proxy is not the solution. I myself am using a VPN service. I have heard of free ones, but i find the paid ones more reliable, speedy, and user friendly. Most of these services have a guide for setting up the VPN settings on the iOS device. VPN is set up in Settings -> General -> Network -> VPN.

When using a VPN solution, all internet traffic on the iOS device will be goning through the chosen IP adress (for you, this should be one from the US).

Hope this helped :)

share|improve this answer

You want to use a VPN, either on the iOS device directly (it has this option in the Network settings), or on your Mac (and then share the VPN via WiFI Internet Sharing).

I use AceVPN. They also have a UK endpoint, so that you can watch BBC.

share|improve this answer

Beware of hidemyass! It is well documented they cooperate with law enforcement. If you are going to use a privacy service, choose one thats been around for 15+ years, before being anonymosu was cool. Only two services come to mind. Ultimate-Anonymity.com and Cotse.net

share|improve this answer

Some of the information contained in this post requires additional references. Please edit to add citations to reliable sources that support the assertions made here. Unsourced material may be disputed or deleted.

You might want to take a look at using the personalVPN Pro service from Witopia.net. Their service is excellent and you could use the VPN to tunnel traffic through a U.S. based server. Check out their services here: https://www.witopia.net/products/

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.