Say I have drive A that is already encrypted with Filevault2. I want to make an exact clone of the drive to a different drive B. Every way I've tried so far decrypts drive A first, then clones, resulting in drive B being decrypted when the clone completes. Is there a better way to clone drive A bit for bit? I'm thinking of using
dd but was wondering if there was a more Apple friendly way.
The best way I've been able to figure out how to do this so far:
- Boot to a Lion install USB drive.
- Open Disk Utility & unlock the encrypted drive
- Format the new drive
- Restore the encrypted volume on your new drive. It will be unencrypted.
- Close disk utility & open Terminal.
- In Terminal, type "diskutil cs convert /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/".
- Boot up to the new drive, open System Preferences, & re-enable encryption. All previous settings should still be there.
I have not fully tested this method, but in theory it should work. It's too many steps for my liking though. I'd prefer one clone & be done with it, somehow.