I installed a new 115GB SSD with a clean lion install in my MacBook pro (2010) with the data doubler containing my old seagate hdd.
The install took over five hours, which made me pretty suspicious to begin with.
But now I'm seeing why: every 30 seconds or so, whatever app is using the disk seems to completely freeze.
Chrome accessing cache
App store downloading Xcode
Sublime text saving a file
Safari doing anything
I've turned off hard drive sleeping, which helped a bit but the benefits appear to be gone. I've also switched te hibernate mode to kill the image and disabled spotlight. The only general solutions google has suggested that I have yet to do are turn on TRIM (which OWC does not recommend for their drive) and add the noatime mount option.
I'm doing a permissions repair now, but I could use more suggestions.
Fs_usage and logs don't show anything that catches the eye.