With the new iOS 5 comes new way of managing Location Services. This allows you not only manage which applications can use Location, but also which System Services are allowed to use it.
There is total of 6 items on that list and I'd like to know a little bit more about what they are and how are they used:
- Cell Network Search - I am not quite sure how GPS can help with that?
- Compass Calibration - I guess I can see how GPS can help with that.
- Diagnostics & Usage - I guess your position is stored in diagnostic & usage reports?
- Location-Based iAds - That goes off without a doubt
- Setting Time Zone - There's already loud about it being overzealous and draining battery. I'm more than fine with it being off as so far my iPhone deals well with time zone adjustment from network time.
- Traffic - This bugs me a lot. It does not affect traffic in Maps.app and seems to be used frequently, too. What for? Any ideas?