Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The large   0   on my Apple keyboard (came with my 2008 Mac Mini) has fallen out, and upon my attempt to put it back in, a small but extremely vital plastic piece snapped off. Can I order a new key from Apple?

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

I would try a local Apple Store or Mac repair shop. There's a good chance they have a few dead keyboards laying around that they'd be willing to give you a replacement key from.

share|improve this answer
+1. I've heard of people getting new keys popped into their keyboards free of charge. Depends if they have any lying around the mood of the Genius. Doesn't hurt to ask. I've seen replacement keys for notebooks, but never the old standalone keyboards. – user10355 Oct 5 '11 at 4:28

You can get replacement parts from apple vie telephone, genius bar or authorized repair centers. The small scissors from the aluminum keyboards are the same as the unibody portable keys, and if they don't have that exact piece you need (large keys generally are unique pieces) they can order a replacement keyboard.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.