Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm from England and I'll be going to the US and I'd like to take my Mac Mini (Mid 2010) (not the newest version).

My main question is: would it be safe to use over there?

I'm worried because of the voltage difference.

If so should I purchase a US power supply cable (does Apply even sell these separately) or a UK->US plug adapter?

share|improve this question
The apple online store has online chat and toll free support here. They would be my first stop to see how much a US power cord would cost. It's smaller to pack even though you only need a plug adapter to safely plug yours in here. – bmike Aug 30 '11 at 15:10
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Yes it is safe. You will need a US plug adapter or a replacement cord, but the mac itself is good to go.

Reading through the specs it states:

Electrical and operating requirements
Line voltage: 100-240V AC

The power supply can handle both the frequency and voltage changes.

And for the question about buying a power cable or use an adapter -> Up to you I did use both and didn't have any problems. I'd go for a US power cable since that is less clunky, if you stay for longer. If it's only for a few weeks I wouldn't bother buying a cable.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.