I want to be able to plug my iPhone in to my main computer and have a fire-and-forget sync happen with iTunes automatically. But leaving the box(es) ticked about doing this appears to be a device option, not a computer option. Thus, when connecting to another PC (e.g. just to charge, or grab a photo), I have to wait whilst iTunes starts up and the device does some strange mini-sync (that doesn't seem to actually do anything other than lose track marks, scrobbles etc.). Have I got something set wrong?
Both the main machine used for syncing and the second machine this is most often a problem on are Windows machines. However, I have also seen it happen on a Macbook Air.
The situation which I envisage is:
- Computer A is synced to iPhone A
- Computer B is synced to iPhone B
- User A wants to be able to plug in to computer A, triggering an automatic backup and sync
- User B wants to be able to plug in to computer B, triggering an automatic backup and sync
- However, User A wants to be able to plug in to Computer B (e.g. to charge, to look at photos) without starting iTunes starting or performing any kind of sync whatsoever.
- Likewise for User B on Computer B (or Computer C,D...)