Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

To me it feels more natural to "pull" down the Desktop down to access Mission Control however System Preferences for the Magic Trackpad only allow for swiping up to access Mission Control.

Is there a hidden terminal preference or app that would enable swipe down to activate Mission Control?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

BetterTouchTool lets you assign arbitrary tap/swipe/click gestures to arbitrary commands.

It supports Lion.

share|improve this answer
Looks like the developer of BetterTouchTool has been aggressive to update it for Lion. I got it work however you have to have the latest version and disable three finger swipe up and down in the System Preferences for it to work. – Steve Moser Jul 23 '11 at 0:58


No way I can find without a third party-app, anyway. I tried changing the function that is mapped by default to three-fingers-down (App Expose) to see if it would 'free it up' for mission control, but no dice.

I'm finding a lot of things like that (reversed scrolling!!!) less comfortable/intuitive, but trying where I can to just get used to them, as I expect they'll feel just as good eventually, and if so, will become standard practice all over the place. (Yes, I know that "get used it" isn't what you asked for, but on this one, I don't think you can default to the old method you used for expose.)

share|improve this answer

You can change the scrolling by going to preferences and track pad then unselect natural scroll

share|improve this answer
does this also affect the Mission Control swipe? Should be only for scrolling, no? – Thilo Jul 21 '11 at 8:06

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.