Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

To move to the next tab in most browsers, you use ctrl+.

Then, to close it, you have to reach over to +W.

I don't like switching modifier keys like that; I'd prefer to just use ctrl for both.
Is there a way to change the shortcuts so that both shortcuts use the control key? It would be great to switch this globally, but otherwise a solution for Firefox would be fine too.

share|improve this question
This is not a site for rants. I've edited your question to remove the rant part. In the future, please focus on the question and not the rant. Thanks for your cooperation. – Nathan Greenstein Jul 10 '11 at 23:30
@Nathan: sorry if it sounded like a rant, but I thought saying that's it's illogical and un-ergonomical is pretty objective. Doesn't matter anyways. Edit: reread it, and maybe I overused "horrible" :D Sorry. – houbysoft Jul 10 '11 at 23:46
I don't see how you can think the control key is more ergonomic than the command key. I need to move my thumb 1 cm to press control, and all my fingers are still available to press the letter in the way I normally would. Combos like ctl-A and ctl-Tab require me to shift my hand. – mckeed Aug 12 '11 at 16:25
@dazmax: I am only talking about this specific situation. You move to a tab with control-tab. To close it using control-W, you move only one finger over to the W from Tab. If you have to use command, you need to move one finger over to the W and the other over to the command key. Moving two fingers is less ergonomic than moving one. – houbysoft Aug 12 '11 at 21:39
up vote 1 down vote accepted

This is not an exact answer to your question, but you can also use +1, +2 etc for visiting each tab, as well as ++] or ++[ to go to the previous/next tab.

share|improve this answer
Hmm, I guess that's a good alternative. As it looks I can't do exactly what I want I'll accept this. Thanks. – houbysoft Aug 10 '11 at 8:53

This is the definitive answer. Here are two official FireFox add-ons (plugins) that let you modify or define your own keyboard commands and shortcuts.

Key config

My Keyboard Navigator

share|improve this answer
I'm curious why you opened a bounty on a question that you answered (twice). – mckeed Aug 12 '11 at 16:57
Because I'm a newbie here and I just wanted to test and see how the bounty system works! – user9290 Aug 12 '11 at 17:35

If you go in to System Preferences, you can then choose "Keyboard & Mouse" where you will be able to re-wire shortcuts. I'm writing this from my iPhone, so I can't give you detailed instructions, but googling "mac change keyboard shortcuts" gave me lots of guides describing how to do it, among which this one from Apple:

share|improve this answer

I belive in Firefox you can use ++/ to view the open tabs.

share|improve this answer

To change a keyboard shortcut that appears in an OS X application's menu:

System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Application Shortcuts

Click the plus, and type the name of the command exactly as it appears in the menu, and choose a shortcut. (e.g. "Close Tab" and +W)

I would recommend, however, using the OS X standard for changing tabs, ++[/], since you don't have to take your hands off home-row typing position. I believe it works for Firefox and most other tabbed applications.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.