I just bought a LaCie Rugged Safe Hard drive, and I am a bit disappointed by the sustained write speed that I measured.
Here is what I see :
- sustained read speed : about 55MB/s
- sustained write speed about 12MB/s if the disk is formatted with HFS/journaled
- sustained write speed about 20MB/s if the disk is formatted with HFS/Not journaled
- sustained write speed about 55MB/s if the disk is formatted with HFS/Not journaled, but I write to it through a Parallels Desktop virtual machine !!!
Does anyone have a clue on a possible reason why the sustained write speed would be faster from a virtual machine?
Also, does anyone what I should do to have the same write speed from Mac OS?
- I do not need to connect the disk as a Virtual Machine device, I need only to access it as a disk that is shared by the host OS
- The disk is connected via a firewire 800 cable
- It is the most recent LaCie Rugged Safe 1Go drive
- Here is the output of a mount command
$mount /dev/disk2s2 on /Volumes/LaCie-Rugged (hfs, local, nodev, nosuid, noowners)