Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Quite simply, I'd just like to modify the right command key to escape and that's it. Keep the left command key as is.

The only tool I've been able to find for this is ControllerMate but I'd rather not pay $14 to map one key.

Can anyone suggest a free alternative?

share|improve this question
I thought the left and right command keys are the same key codes and therefore indistinguishable. – AMomchilov Jul 4 '13 at 14:26

You can download Ukelele. It is an free keyboard layout editor, and you can make a new layout for your keyboard where simple redefine the keys. In the package are sample keyboards and a manual/tutorial too.

share|improve this answer
I have no idea how to use this application. Each time I press the right command key, the left one lights up on it's keyboard mapper. And also, browsing the comments the author mentions that you can't differentiate between the different command keys (in ukelele). – Matt Jun 12 '11 at 11:09
So, my answer was not helpful. I know no other way, sry. – jm666 Jun 12 '11 at 11:38

Ukelele or keylayout files can't be used to change modifier keys to other keys. But you could use a private.xml like this with KeyRemap4MacBook:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::COMMAND_R, KeyCode::ESCAPE</autogen>

This would only change pressing the right command to escape:

__KeyOverlaidModifier__ KeyCode::COMMAND_R, KeyCode::COMMAND_R, KeyCode::ESCAPE

<only>VI, TERMINAL</only> would apply the settings only when MacVim, Terminal, or iTerm is frontmost.

See the source for the key code values and predefined settings.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.