Here is my configuration:
- Living Room
- MacBook Pro
- Network printer
- All connected to Time Capsule
- Hifi System (with line-in)
- Laptop, iPod touch (any wireless device)
As of today, the connection between the two locations is too weak (see this question) for me to use devices wirelessly in the bedroom.
What I would like to do is to add a PLC connection between the two rooms and place an airport base station in the bedroom to extend the wireless network.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so check below my existing configuration and the things I want to add (green bullets and green arrows):
I then have a lot of questions...
- Will the wireless network created in the bedroom by the airport base station be an extension of the one in the living room or a new one? (first option would be easier to wander in the apartment without having to switch from one network to the other).
- Will it still be possible to connect the other devices (printer, NAS) to the time capsule and would they be accessible from the bedroom (I suppose yes if wireless network is the same) and still from the living room wired network (I don't see why it would not be the case).
Do I have to connect the PCL as on the drawing or do I have to connect it between the modem and the time capsule?(edit: yes, replied to this one by myself)
I also then plan to connect the Hifi system line in to the jack connection of the airport base station.
- Will it allow me to output on the hifi system songs from my iTunes library stored on MBP?
- Will I be able to control it with Remote from the iPod Touch?
You can also propose other solutions which could work in my situation.
My first need was the network connection in the bedroom. The iTunes songs on the Hifi system was a bonus when I thought about Airport Base Station.