Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

For many Apple products, e.g. macbook air, or iphone, the power supply is the same for different countries, and it accepts a power range of 100-240V and 50-60Hz (which I think is a great idea, since it encompasses most of the power standard used around the world; I don't know whether this is specific to Apple or common practice): does this mean that the only item which is different is the actual plug piece, i.e. the piece which connects the adapter to the plug (note that this piece is actually the same for different adapters, namely different W)? is it then possible to just buy that piece (it shouldn't cost more than a few $$) such that it has the desired shape, compatible to the country of interest?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Apple sells a "world traveler kit" which is effectively the plug bit for their chargers, so that would be a definite yes.

share|improve this answer
very nice, that's exactly what I was looking for, thank you – jj_p Jun 3 '14 at 5:16
You're welcome. – NoahM Jun 3 '14 at 15:39

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.