Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Occasionally, you see a keyboard shortcut for something in an app's menus that shows a diagonal-pointing arrow (one that points 45, 135, 225, or 315 degrees) rather than your standard up, right, down, or left arrow keys. Here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about:

Screenshot showing a sample diagonal arrow

How do I accomplish that key chord?

share|improve this question
up vote 14 down vote accepted

I suggest you to open your keyboard visualizer (by clicking on the flag that is near the clock in the menu bar).

This will make appear a window with a keyboard representation.

If you press the fn key, you'll see that the will become a ↖︎ (Home key) in this window while will become ↘︎ (End key).

That's it: just press the fn+ or fn+ to obtain the diagonal-arrow.

share|improve this answer
While I haven't used the keyboard visualizer, pressing fn+ does accomplish the command. Thanks. – ele Feb 27 '14 at 16:16

These are the home and end keys on OS X.

  • On full keyboards, there are keys designated to home and end.

  • On notebooks you can press home by pressing fn+left and end by pressing fn+right.

    Additional key behaviors

    • The Numlock key has been removed on Late 2007 and later Mac notebooks.
    • Home key functionality is performed by pressing Fn (Function) and Left Arrow key.
    • End key functionality is performed by pressing Fn and Right Arrow key.
    • Page Up key functionality is performed by pressing Fn and Up Arrow key.
    • Page Down key functionality is performed by pressing Fn and Down Arrow key.


share|improve this answer

Following up on @lauhub's answer, you enable the system's Keyboard Viewer in the Keyboard system preferences. In the "Input Sources" tab, check "Show input menu in menu bar." (In older versions of OSX, this is International system preferences' "Input Menu" tab.) The newly-enabled menubar menu includes "Show Keyboard Viewer."

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.