Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Some Mac applications have this button in the upper right. What is it called? Is there a keyboard shortcut for it?

In the case of MacVim, the button toggles the toolbar of colorful icons you see on the left. Saves some space on the screen. Is that what the button does in all applications?

What is this icon?

share|improve this question
It's commonly called the "lozenge". – CajunLuke Mar 25 '11 at 22:40
Hah! I've always wondered what's going on with that button. Thanks for asking the question. – boehj May 29 '11 at 12:31
up vote 12 down vote accepted

Yes, it toggles the toolbar in all applications. In many applications, it's shortcut is Option+Command+T, but this is not true for all (Preview uses Command+B).

share|improve this answer
Or in some cases, such as for MacVim, a shortcut isn't provided. Knowing what this button does and what it is called helped me to find a programmatic way to access MacVim's lozenge. – Bluu Mar 27 '11 at 21:06

For future reference, the Window Elements topic of the Apple Human Interface Guidelines is the definitive reference here.

share|improve this answer

In Finder windows, the lozenge also shows and hides the sidebar.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.