From Finder, I can preview a plist file without any difficulties. For example, using Quick Look with
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.RSS.plist I get a nice preview of its contents:
However, if I then try to open the file, either with TextEdit, or any other editor (I've tried SublimeText, TextMate, Vim, Nano, and Coda 2 so far), the encoding appears to be off:
bplist00Ò_"FixedRefreshesInBackgroundSettings_(com.apple.PreferenceSync.ExcludeSyncKeys ¡ 2]^����������������������������`
Here's what it looks like if I open it with TextEdit:
I've tried changing the encoding in Sublime Text and other apps, but that doesn't help.
I'm running 10.8.4.